The Balikbayan Privilege allows Former Filipino citizens (such as Filipinos who have been naturalized British or Irish citizens) and their families a visa-free stay in the Philippines for a maximum of one (1) year, regardless of the frequency of travel or visit.


For the former Filipino citizen:

  1. Valid passport

 2.  Supporting documents to prove former Philippine citizenship:

  • Cancelled Philippine passport or Philippine Birth Certificate
  • Naturalization paper to show former Philippine citizenship
  • Certification from adopted country

The spouses and minor unmarried children of former Filipino citizens must present the following documents to the Philippine Immigration Officer at the point of entry:

  1. Valid passport
  2. Marriage certificate (for the spouse)
  3. Birth Certificate (for minor children) or adoption papers (for adopted children)


  1. Prepare your and your dependents’ documentary requirements.
  2. Upon arrival in the Philippines, request the Philippine Immigration Officer at the point of entry to grant you and your dependents Balikbayan Privilege.


  • The spouse and minor dependents of former Filipino citizens may enjoy Balikbayan Privilege provided that the following conditions are met:
  • That they are not required entry visas under existing regulations
  • They are travelling together with the balikbayan spouse / parent to the Philippines

Useful Links:

Bringing in / Taking out Currency

Driving in the Philippines

Bringing in Pets

Bringing in Plants

Bringing in Drugs

Filming in the Philippines