Legal documents (such as Affidavits/Special Power of Attorney/Contracts, etc) executed outside the Philippines require ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OR AUTHENTICATION by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate for the documents to have legal force and effect in the Philippines.
The Embassy acknowledges a legal document that is signed by the executor in the presence of a consular official.
- Personal appearance of the executor/s
- Original document/s, in whatever number/copies that the applicant requires
- Original and photocopy/ies of the executor/s valid identification document (valid passport or driver’s licence), in the same number of the document/s to be acknowledged
- One (1) photocopy of the complete set of the document/s including copy of the identification document/s, to be retained by the Embassy
- Fee of GBP 23 per document (no fee is charged for the Embassy’s copy), in cash or postal money order made out to the Philippine Embassy
Authentication is done under the following circumstances:
B.1 for document/s issued by UK or Irish authorities or
B.2 for legal documents such as Affidavits/Special Power of Attorney/Contracts where the executor/s is/are not able to come in person at the Embassy to sign
Authentication involves the following process:
- The legal document should be notarised by a UK/Irish Notary Public or Commissioner of Oaths
- The notarised document is then submitted to the Legalisation Office of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (for UK documents) or the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs (for Ireland documents), which shall authenticate the signature of the Notary Public/Commissioner of Oaths
- The FCO/DFA certified document may then be submitted to the Philippine Embassy/Consulate for final authentication
- Original document with the FCO/DFA certificate stamp
- One (1) photocopy of the complete set of the document/s, including the FCO/DFA stamp, for the Embassy/Consulate copy
- Fee of GBP23 per document (no fee is charged for the Embassy/Consulate copy), in cash or postal money order made out to the Philippine Embassy
The processed (acknowledged/authenticated) document will be available three (3) working days after filing.
Applicants may avail themselves of express service for an additional GBP10 per document (except the Embassy copy/ies). The processed document will be available the working day following filing, between 4:00-5:00pm.
Applicants may collect the document themselves or through an authorised representative who shall present his/her identification on claiming the document. Alternatively, applicants may provide a pre-paid self-addressed envelope so that the processed document/s may be posted back to them.
Applications for the authentication may be filed at the Philippine Embassy in London or the Philippine Honorary Consulate in Dublin, as appropriate.